Storm season is upon us. It seems like every week there is a chance for inclement weather to strike – especially hail. As a home or property owner, how do I know if I have hail damage? Sometimes climbing up on the roof to check is not a viable or practical option. Here are few safe, simple actions you can complete from the ground to see if you might have hail damage:
- Check your siding for dimples or cracks.
- Inspect the metal or aluminum trims around your windows, doors, and garage doors for dimples.
- Examine your gutters or downspouts for any dimples.
- Check your home windows for any cracks in the glass.
- Survey any vehicles that may have been parked outside during the storm for cracked glass or dimples in the body.
- Look at your trees or plants to see if any of their small limbs or leaves have been stripped away.
- Talk to your neighbors to see if they experienced any hail damage.
- Be on the look out for insurance adjusters or roofers that you see in your area.
- Call a reputable roofing contractor to climb on your roof and check your roof for any damages.
- Contact your insurance agent to see if other customers have inquired about any damage in the area.
If any or all of these items are showing damage, there is a good chance your roof is damaged as well. Now would be a good time to call your insurance agent to file a claim.